This layout cost me under $2.50 actually if I am honest it cost $2.20 in total to create. Yeah I know right? I never originally set out to create a budget layout it just turned out that way.
This month’s Guest DT member Jody set a monthly challenge to create two clusters with 5 or more things in them. For the most part I used flowers that I made myself. Although there are some mulberry paper roses that I used as well.
Inspired by the background of the photo (me in Year 7), and the new teal Peacock Feathers Distress ink and re-inker that had recently arrived on my doorstep. I set to work.
I had already played with making my own Peacock Feathers mist and also misting some seam binding in various colours and such.
The first step for me was creating the background. You can do this in many ways, swiping your ink pad over the card stock, with cling wrap or the way I did with a scrunched up piece of paper towel. This gives a mottled effect. However it was a little too dark for what I wanted. So I took an old Snow cap paint dabber added a smidge more paint from a new one, added some water and shook well. Bingo I had a perfect tool for whitewashing over the cardstock to tone down the colour.
I also used this technique to tone down the DCWV Jewel Stack cardstock I used to matt the photo on. In fact that was the next thing I did. Then I stuck my photo onto the cardstock and adhered it to the background (the Cardstock is a plain Sam & Lucy 12×12 from a pack that I picked up on sale).
The next step was creating my boarder with seam binding. This is actually very simple you place tape around the boarder of your photo matt and then stick the seam binding to it. I folded the edges over as I went however you could also cut your seam binding to fit if you did not want the fold. Either way you will not see the joins or folds as they are covered with flowers.
Then it was a matter of playing with flowers and such to see what I wanted for my clusters. The large Flowers are Tissue Paper cut from A Fiskars large circle punch. You punch through several layers of tissue paper put a brad in the centre then scrunch each layer from the centre outwards. I misted mine with Homemade Peacock feathers mist.
The seam binding flowers I also handmade from the same seam binding I used for the boarder.
Once I had decided on how I wanted my flowers. I then used Inkadinkado Dot Flourish stamps to create my flourishes. I repeated the same stamp 3 times to create the flourish. Stamped with Peacock Feathers Distress Ink. (What I love about this layout is it also shows you that the different ways you use an ink can show as almost different colours). Then added some hot fix rhinestones from my stash (obtained cheaply from eBay) over the Dot parts of the flourishes in different sizes.
Then I stuck my flowers down where I wanted them. Made some pearl sprays using pearl sprays and wire. It only took 2 stems of pearl spray. I used the wire to sepperate one stem into two sprays for the clusters.
Glued them in with a little glossy accents and viola a layout that won’t break the budget