Well Mr Holtz did it again. Another month another fantastic technique.
This month it is paper mosaic. Using the Distress Embossing powder and the heat resistant red tape stuff. As you can guess neither of which are in my stash (I know shock horror right?)
Now unfortunately I did not add enough garnet sand to my modelling paste so you don’t actually see the grittiness I added. I also used a little fired brick re inker. It has been a learning curve and whilst I am happy with the results. The fact the colour bled into the Glossy Accents is definitely a mistake. I chose the quote from one of my Tim Holtz stamp sets as it truly felt very apt.
I went through my 6×6 paper pads to find small patterns and such to work with the technique. I actually made 3 butterflies (the Cuttlebug cut and emboss butterfly is what I used as it is the only one I have other than the 2 step one at present) out of grunge paper of course.
If you are going to use modelling paste for this I have some tips. Do not add your paper mosaic to the wet modelling paste as the colour will leech through. If you have Multi Medium in matt my suggestion is to let it dry overnight then put on a layer of that let it dry then add all your “mosaic “pieces. That should take care of the colour bleeding into the Glossy accent.
I added my mosaic pieces to the wet modelling paste and left the butterflies to dry overnight. Then I did a very thin coat of glossy accents over the paper pieces before coating the whole butterfly and letting them dry. Added some Bella Bling and used a black permanent marker to go around the edges and have them pop off the background more. Also some foam tape to attach them.
The background was something sort of new; I have been playing with this technique with alcohol inks on glossy cardstock. I used the Berry and Fired Brick distress inks and the blending tool. I put the berry at the bottom (totally coat your piece of glossy or in my case semi gloss in the ink), dried it with my heat gun and then did a layer of Fired Brick, and dried it.
Now for the fun part grab your blending solution (this is best with a not so full bottle) and let it drop down onto the ink in different spots. I did this by using two drops in one spot.
I then blotted off the excess ink and repeated this process about 3 times to get the desired effect I wanted. The build up actually allows some of the black and other shades of colour in the ink to show through.
I really need to get more background stamps as I just do not have any texture type ones at present. However what I love most about 12 tags is the fact that I often have to improvise and make use of what I do have.
The quote stamp was simply stamped on using Black Soot Distress ink and the Ranger superfine embossing powder.
Have to say in spite of the mistakes in this one (and I was tempted to re do the butterflies) I am really pleased with how this coaster turned out it is a reminder that even our mistakes can be turned into Art something I know to be true without a doubt.
So here it is My Coaster for March